By: Evette Champion
The 2016 BET Honors aired last night and if you hadn’t tuned in, we’ve got three of the most notable moments during the event. Or… Maybe I should say three most notable themes? Whatever you want to call them, here’s the best of the best!
Usher honored L.A. Reid by singing his greatest hits in between a touching speech (even though he kept reminding Reid he never got to do a record with him).
Toni Braxton was the first female artist at LaFace Records and opened the 2016 BET Honors with a number of hits in order to get the crowd in the mood. She and her sisters performed together and looked fabulous.
Fantasia simply killed it when she hit the stage. Pair her with Jazmine Sullivan and people were in love.
Natalie Cole Tribute
The nine time Grammy Award Nominee, Ledisi paid a beautiful tribute to Natalie Cole during the ceremony.
There were plenty of political moments through the ceremony. Here are 10 moments from the show.
- “Ohhhhh” – The audience after Hall says he wonders who our next president will be.
- “Bernie is old. He might have been around for the original revolution in 1776.” — Hall
- “I’m excited for the possibility of first lady Bill. Instead of a Christmas tree lighting, there will be a stripper-pole lighting.” — Hall
- “I know Trump… I am the Jackie Robinson of ‘The Apprentice.’ If he wins, he’s going to build a wall around February.” — Hall
- “My earliest memories of my grandmother were her getting people out to vote. She carried a gun; she was a gangster.” — Daniels
- The audience gives a standing ovation when shown a photo of Holder and President Obama, the first African Americans to hold the offices of attorney general and president, during the honoree package.
- “The right to vote is under siege. No person, no party can return us to our unjust past.” — Holder
- “We do not live in a post-racial society.” —Holder
- “After the show, these microphones will be separated by Dr. Ben Carson. He ain’t got nothing else to do.” — Hall
- “Thank you, George, for making sure black people are in the future.” — Hall to Lucas, the creator of “Star Wars.”
So did you catch the BET Honors this year? What were your favorite moments?