There are a great deal of queens that should be honored for their contributions to the music industry, but let’s start with the “Queen of Funk.” Chaka Khan is one with a talent (and presence) that is unmatched. She has perfected her style, and the world loves her for it. Here are a few facts about Ms. Khan to celebrate the greatness that she is.
- The Grammy’s are right around the corner so it is only right that we mention that Chaka Khan has received 10 Grammy awards over the four decades that she has been a singer and songwriter.
- Khan’s career started off in the major funk band Rufus. She won her first Grammy with this group after Stevie Wonder wrote the popular hit “Tell Me Something Good” for them.
- Aside from singing and songwriting, Khan played the drums and bass for some of the instrumentals that Rufus used for their songs.
- Just four years ago Khan was given the 2,440th star plaque for the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Khan is not the only one in her family that has been musically successful. Her sister is known as Taka Boom, an R&B and dance music singer, and her brother, Mark Stevens, formed the funk group Aurra.
- Ms. Khan has a signature brand of gourmet chocolates, Chakalates, that were sold in 20 Neiman Marcus stores around the country back in 2004.
Chaka Khan is definitely a living legend. She has collaborated with so many musical greats, and she serves as inspiration to some of our favorite artists that are on their way to being just as legendary in their careers. Who would not want to know more about her?
These facts about the Queen come just in time for Essence magazine’s 45th anniversary. The magazine is throwing a pre-Grammys bash, and the 10-time Grammy-award recipient will be the host alongside Jill Scott. Tune in on Feb. 5!